Sunday, June 16, 2013

DIY Dry Shampoo for Brown Hair

Hey Look - A non-food post! :D

I've never been one to wash my hair daily. And since Munchkin was born, I will sometimes go 2-3 days without washing my hair (as long as there are no major engagements other than errands). So to extend my shampoos I started looking into Dry Shampoos. If you haven't heard of them it's a powder or spray you put on your hair to take out the grease, or something to that effect. I started with a spray I bought from Shoppers Drugmart which was HORRIBLE. It smelled like chemicals and made my hair look worse. Plus it went on white and left a white dusty tinge to my hair. Looking for alternatives I had someone suggest cornstarch. This worked very well but again white powder on brown hair didn't go so well. 
And once again Pinterest to save the day.
After a quick search I found the solution - cornstarch and COCO POWDER! Seriously? After a few tries and changes in techniques, this is my go to method to extend a shampoo. Plus who doesn't mind smelling like chocolate?

The mix is about 50/50 cornstarch to coco powder. You can mix more or less of one or the other depending on how dark your hair is.


My technique is this - I use an old stiff makeup brush for application. I find this works much better than using my hands. I start with a deep part about an inch above my ear and apply a light coat of powder. Then move the part up and repeat until you've done both sides. Give your head a good rub with your fingers to work everything in.
I find this works best before bed, with a quick touch up in the morning.

Couple of notes - Apply a little at a time, you can always add more if needed. I also avoid applying this directly on the part line, it can sometimes tinge your skin. This is also a messy process so keep your shirt covered.

Final review? I find it does make my hair less shiny but a bit dull, but I tend to tie up my hair on these days anyway so that's not a big deal to me. It really does take out the nasty 'need a shower' look and lasts most of the day as well. And no white powder!

Before - 24hrs post shower (eww)
After - Much improved!



















And girls with bangs! Yes I do have bangs and yes I have used this, but I prefer to just wash my bangs and style as normal on my 'crap I'm late, no time to wash my hair' days.

Overall, a definite win. It took some tweaking to get the technique right but I really love this DIY Dry Shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment