Friday, October 3, 2014

Overnight Oatmeal - Clean Eating Win!

I love breakfast but I find it one of the most challenging meals of the day, especially during the week when my hubby is already off at work and I have myself and two kids, plus all the fur-children to wrangle and feed. So for me, something quick, healthy, and filling is needed so I can get everyone out the door on time.
A while ago I came across recipes for Overnight Oatmeal, otherwise called Summer Oatmeal since it is typically eaten cold. I was a little apprehensive about cold oatmeal, but this past week I decided to jump in and give it a try. 

A few notes about Overnight Oatmeal...
1) Despite all the images on Pinterest, a mason jar is NOT required for this to work. After some research, other people have used plain Tupperware with a lid, or like me, a regular bowl covered with cling wrap. 
2) You can use any type of oats. Steel cut oats will give a crunchy texture, quick oats a softer oatmeal. I've used Quick Oats and Large Flake Oats and both turned out great. The large flake was a denser more chewy oatmeal, and I prefer the quick oats. You can experiment as you like.
3) Speaking of experimenting, the flavor combos are ENDLESS! No getting bored with this oatmeal!

I've tried two versions of Overnight Oatmeal. You can also add flax seeds, chai seeds, nuts, protein powder...again the options are endless. Just look on Pinterest!

My Oatmeal recipes
The measurements are approximate with the exception of the oats and milk. Everything can be adjusted to taste. 

Have fun!

Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter

1/4 cup oats
3/4 cup almond milk 
1/2 ripe banana (can be mashed in during prep or sliced on top before eating)
Couple tsp coco powder
1 tsp honey
Couple tsp peanut butter (I may end up heating it first next time so there won't be PB globs in my oatmeal)
Mix together, cover, and let sit in the fridge overnight
When ready to eat, give it a good stir, add any toppings you'd like and enjoy




















Apple Cinnamon

1/4 cup oats
3/4 cups almond milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 apple, chopped
Mix all ingredients except apple. Cover and let sit in fridge overnight. In am stir and add in apple.


Banana Nut


1/4 cup oats
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp peanut butter (optional)
In am add sliced banana and pecans/walnuts/almonds to oatmeal













No comments:

Post a Comment